Sunday, January 29, 2012

More reviews....wish I could read all day

Ok, well it was super hot for me with a couple of nice 42oC days. Of course this translated to switching on the air-con and spending hours on the couch reading (and watching the tennis, some amazing matches boys!). Suffice to say, have posted a couple of new reviews of some great books I have recently read. This includes The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. His latest book deals with the very ugly disease cancer and had me both laughing and crying. A really beautiful and moving book, which presented a very different side to the story, the cancer victim who is left behind. Earlier this month I had read his book Looking for Alaska, which is almost an ode to Holden Caufield and is a great coming of age story (note to self, pick up Catcher in the Rye again).

I also managed to finally get my hands on the second instalment in the Immortal Beloved series, Darkness Falls. Five hours later I was done and counting down the days until the third book hits shelves (Jan 2013, so a long time). I have to say I love this series so very much, primarily due to it's narrator, the completely hilarious, but deeply troubled Nastasya. Yes ok it's about immortals, but her struggles and fears are so realistically portrayed, I couldn't help but feel for her, even when she makes stupid decisions (particularly forcing herself to walk away from the Viking god Reyn). While the second book has me hoping things will work out for them, I now have an impossibly long wait to find out!

I also read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, which despite being a really interesting and clever story, was just a little too drawn out for me (I'm impatient by nature).

And now I am back at work and have started reading Kirsten Tranter's second novel A Common Loss about 4 friends reeling from the death of the 5th member of their group and the knowledge that he might not have been the man they all thought he was.

If only I could go back to lying on the couch.....

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment